CALLING ON THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY OF ELECTROACOUSTIC MUSIC AND SONIC ART
for a WORK OVERTURE PROJECT in the 39th FESTIVAL SYNTHESE BOURGES 2009
“EVOLUTION AND IMAGINATION”
The theme of the Open Work 2009 is “Evolution and imagination”
Darwin published his « Origins of Species in 1859. He was disrupting the accepted beliefs of Nature by going back to the origin of Mankind. In the same year, Baudelaire praising the « Queen of the intellectual faculties » claimed: « Nature is ugly and I prefer the monsters of my fantasies to positive trivalities». This also upset the established order and joined branches of cultural order to the future. This evolution affected music. Its course unrolled in the spiral at a double evolution enlightened, technique and sound, with a stream of innovation, electrification, variation, amplification, reflection, digression, diffusion…
Because since 1860 the course of time was bound to the Phonautograph process of Scott de Martinville.
To the run of your imagination, it’s to you to notify in a maximum of 6 minutes in a spiral of variations, with fantasy and originality, this profuse musical evolution that became electroacoustic.
Every year, composers participating in the overture project are more and more numerous. This is the reason why the organizers have decided to set up the following principles:
* All works will be played continuously during the Festival “Synthèse 2009”
* The organizers will select twenty pieces
* These twenty pieces will be programmed in two concerts of the “Oeuvre Ouverte” series, the first concert at the 39th festival “Synthèse 2009”, the second concert at the 39th festival “Synthèse 2010”.
1. The work overture project is opened to all composers, creators and sonic sculptors who wish to participate.
2. All works have to be finished before mid May 2009. Any work that does not deal with the theme will not be diffused.
3. The duration of your work must span not less than 4 and not more than 6 minutes maximum.
4. Your work must be exempt from all broadcasting and reproduction rights, excepted of course author’s royalties.
5. You work sent be only stereo and without live musicians. You will send exclusivity the work in CD.
6. Your work will be kept at the IMEB’s and MISAME’s International Sound Library.
To take part in the work overture project you must accept all these conditions.
If you are interested in the work overture project:
* Please let us know about your decision and send us the information on your work title and duration before the end of March 2009.
* The list of participants will be published on the IMEB’s website (www.imeb.net) by mid-April.
* Please send us, by email exclusively, your programme note, biography and photograph before April 30, 2009. These information will be published on the website www.imeb.net / under the headings Festival / Work overture
* Please send us your work between April 30, 2009 the earliest and May 10, 2009 the latest.
For any additional information, please contact:
Place André Malraux – BP 39
18001 Bourges (France)
Tél. + 33 (0)2 48 20 41 87
Fax + 33 (0)2 48 20 45 51
Leave a Reply