FRONTE[I]RAS 07. INTERNATIONAL MEETING OF TRANSDISCIPLINARY ARTS OPEN CALL FOR ARTISTIC PROJECTS
Places: Pontevedra (Galicia, Spain) and Nodar (S. Pedro do Sul, Portugal).
Dates: September – December 2007
Organization: Alg-a.org (Galicia) and Binaural (Portugal).
Format: Artistic Residency + Symposium + Itinerant Exhibition Fronte[i]ras 07.
_This event will comprise a program of artistic residencies in Galicia and Portugal. Two simultaneous residencies will take place, one in Nodar (a small rural village in Portugal) and another on the outskirts of Pontevedra (Galicia). Several artists from different origins and backgrounds will gather during 10 days on each residency space for the development of artistic projects in close connection with social thinkers who will hold a critique observatory during the same period.
As a result of the work produced during the residencies, a final presentation of the developed projects will take place in the form of an itinerant exhibition, starting in Pontevedra and ending in Portugal. A parallel round of conferences and audiovisual artistic talks related to the proposed theme will also take place.
The central theme for the open call will be the concept of border (“fronteira”) in all its possible variants, a reflection on its multiple interpretations with a focus not only on the physical / geographical borders but also on their dissolution in ideological, cultural, virtual, and ability borders.
The artists can freely choose their artistic languages and tools (audio, video, performance, installation, intermedia, etc.). The projects will be exhibited both in the original format and in documental format, in case it will not be possible its translocation to the exhibit room (for instance, site specific projects or projects with a considerable physical scale).
The invited social thinkers will develop, during the residency period, a fieldwork related to the concept of borders, which will be presented in a conference to be held during the final symposium.
OPEN CALL FOR PROJECTS
1. Alg-a will award 5 Fronte[i]ras 07 grants for artistic projects to be developed during a residency in Pondevedra (Galicia). Binaural will award 5 Fronte[i]ras 07 grants for artistic projects to be developed during a residency in Nodar (Portugal).
2. The amount of each grant will be 300 Euros (less the corresponding withholding tax). The organization of Encontro Fronte[i]ras 07 will bear housing and food costs during the residency and final presentations. The selected artists will bear their traveling costs from / to the place of origin to / from the residency.
3. This call is open to all artists without any restriction of age, gender, nationality, etc.
4. At least 4 of the 10 grants will be awarded to artists born or living in Galicia (2) and Portugal (2).
5. The call is open from May, 11 to June, 22, 2007.
6. The following documentation should be included:
– Application form (available online on Binaural or Alg-a websites)
– A facsimile of the national identity card or passport
– A short artistic curriculum (max. 30 lines)
– The proposed artistic project to be developed in residency
– The proposed project schedule
– Technical needs of the project
– A description of previous developed projects or works (in digital and/or printed form)
– In case of audiovisual projects, a DVD may be annexed to the documentation.
7. Each candidate is free to include additional documentation that he/she finds useful for an accurate evaluation of the proposed artistic project.
8. The presented documents will not be returned to the candidates after the open call is finished.
9. All documentation should be sent to one of the following addresses:
To a residency in Nodar (Portugal) To a residency in Pontevedra (Galicia)
ENCONTRO FRONTE[I]RAS 07
Binaural – Associação Cultural
A/C Rui Costa
Alameda Padre Álvaro Proença, 10 – 12º A
ENCONTRO FRONTE[I]RAS 07
Alg-a. Asociación Cultural
r/ Baixada da Igrexa, 50 baixo
CP 36210-Vigo (Pontevedra)