1. Electronic Transducer
2. Square, round, and Triangular Plates
3. Enameled Tray
4. Audio function generator
5. Two 36 inch banana leads
6. White Sand Shaker
1. Place the tray on a cart and roll it next to the document camera.
2. Place the transducer in the middle of the tray and Insert the square plate.
3. Connect the Function Generator to the transducer and turn it to maximum output level.
4. Sprinkle a small amount of white sand onto the surface of the plate.
5. Adjust the document camera so that a clear image of the surface of the plate is visible on the screen.
6. Turn on the function generator and adjust the frequency until a standing wave pattern can be seen on the surface of the plate. The sand will gather into the null areas of the plate. Start at about 100Hz and adjust the frequency upward until you get a good display.
7. Empty the sand into the tray and replace the square plate with a round one and repeate the experiment.
8. Repeat the experiment for the triangular plate.
Chladni Plates II